Monday, December 27, 2010

Arsenal goalkeeper Szczesny thinks he made Rooney miss his PK

Arsenal's 20-year-old goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny thinks he might have figured out the secret to making Wayne Rooney launch comically atrocious penalty kicks miles over the crossbar, as he did in Manchester United's 1-0 win over Arsenal on Monday.

Says Szczesny (via The Mirror):

"I did prepare myself for a Rooney penalty before the game. I actually decided to try to delay him, show him my presence and hope for the best.

"Maybe my presence put him off and made him miss it.

"It's obviously a mental battle between the goalkeeper and the striker, a psychological battle, so I tried him and stand off my line for as long as possible, until the referee put me on the line. Then I made myself big and he missed."

And that's all it takes to cause the once menacing and supremely confident Wayne Rooney to blast the ball into another time zone. You don't even have to dive the right way when he kicks it!

Scientists hope to learn more if the ball ever returns to Earth. 

Photo: Reuters

Nelly Furtado Leeann Tweeden Bali Rodriguez Izabella Miko Cameron Diaz

No comments:

Post a Comment