Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Silva's odd drug test may save Vera from chopping block

With the mystery of Thiago Silva's drug test from UFC 125 continues to go unsolved, MMAjunkie is now reporting that the Nevada State Athletic Commission will soon overturn his victory over Brandon Vera and turned it into a "no contest."

Vera's contract was terminated by the UFC. If the fight is a no contest, that could mean the light heavyweight's status with the promotion is changed.

Heavy.com had a conversation with Vera about the loss and the news that Silva may have tested positive. There are also rumors that Silva submitted synthetic urine. 

"I have no idea what’s going on," Vera stated on the latest episode of The Ryan Loco Show. "He could’ve tested positive for marijuana. I honestly don’t think that’s a performance enhancing drug. If he does test positive for some kind of strength enhancing substance, it would make me feel a little bit better about myself."

Vera said he works with an excellent camp and also rolls with the Nogueira brothers, but felt surprisingly weak under Silva at UFC 125.

"I remember when I was underneath him and I was pushing him back and forth. I was thinking, ‘What the hell? Why is this guy so damn strong?’ And I remember thinking during the fight, ‘Yo, I gotta start lifting weights again.’ He was one of, if not the strongest dudes I ever rolled with in my life. Strong b******."

Silva so dominated Vera that he broke his nose down the stretch and was spanking the Filipino-American in the final round. Vera had a strong response to that show of disrespect.

"You know, I’m glad you were happy winning the way you were. It’s cool, man. It’s cool. If this thing comes back and you did do whatever you did and I make it back to the UFC, on your welcoming back party, I want to make sure I’m the one you get to fight," Vera said. "And I promise if you take me down, I’m going to get back up. Then I’m going to punish you on the feet just like I did while we were fighting, until you took me down. Then you gave it to me, but you won’t take me down next fight. So I’m glad you got to showboat. I’m glad you got to win, kind of. But I’m gonna see you again soon, bud."

With Silva facing a suspension and Vera recover from the broken nose, that fight won't happen anytime soon, but it'll be interesting lead up to the fight if the UFC chooses to rematch the fighters. 

Tip via MMAConvert

Trista Rehn Moon Bloodgood Kristin Kreuk Molly Sims Monika Kramlik

No comments:

Post a Comment