Sunday, March 13, 2011

DTotD: Player-manager sent off for tackling invader in mankini

(Warning: Audio NSFW, mankini NS for Life)

The only thing worse than a pitch invader roaming free around the field of play is a pitch invader roaming free around the field of play in a Borat-style mankini. That's what happened during Monday night's Blue Square Bet South match between Havant & Waterlooville and Dorchester Town when stewards reacted to the overexposed man in a wig like they were loaded up on tranquilizers.

So, with the pitch invader even getting a bit tired of his own antics, Dorchester player-manager Ashley Vickers decided to finally bring an end to the guy's attempts to waste everyone's time and hauled him down. The home crowd voiced displeasure over a member of the visiting side laying hands on their village idiot and ref agreed with them, sending Vickers off -- making him the first of three Magpies to be sent off in their 3-1 loss.  

After the match, he made it clear that even Havant & Waterlooville thought it was a bad decision. From the Dorset Echo:

“I’m dumbfounded and speechless. A guy ran on to the pitch without any of the stewards getting near him and I thought I was doing them a favour.

“My only thought was to get hold of him so we could get on with the game. I managed to grab him and bring him to the ground and the funny thing was the stewards actually thanked me for it.

“But the ref decided to send me off and it beggars belief. Their players told the ref not to send me off and their chairman even offered to take a player off to even things up.

“The ref lost the game after that and he knew he had made a great error by the reaction of Havant’s players and management. In hindsight I perhaps shouldn’t have done it but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I’m sure people will crucify me for this but I have broad shoulders.”

If only we crucified pitch invaders instead of the heroes who try to save us from their tired schtick, the world would be a much better place. 

Video via 101gg

Marla Sokoloff Jennifer Love Hewitt Tina Fey Gina Philips Jamie Gunns

No comments:

Post a Comment